KEY AREAS OF CONCERN
– New laws, draft laws, and policies are further eroding women’s rights, in part to promote population growth;
– Ongoing restriction, harassment, and detention of women’s rights defenders;
– Women’s low participation in government and limits to standing for election;
– Institutional discrimination against women in areas of family law, access to justice, and cultural life and sport;
– Lack of protections against gender-based violence and forced early marriage.
Women and girls in Iran remain subject to widespread and systematic discrimination in law and practice. Moreover, new legislation and policies are further eroding women’s rights and reversing gains for women in recent decades.